26 April 2013

The View From Here



As interesting and inspiring as I wish these last few blog posts to be, I can’t seem to pull the energy. Tomorrow marks the start of my last month of four in Ghana. Being in that last leg of the journey has me in such anticipation. I know how heartbreaking it will be to say goodbye to the orphanage and new friends and this beautiful culture, but I am, just as my fellow foreigners are, holding on by a thread. I want to walk down the street and not hear a single car honk at me or to walk into a classroom and be completely unnoticed; I also want an awesome cup o’ Jo. To renew my spirits and truly indulge in these last four weeks, I have decided to go into reflection…and you, reader, are coming with me.

Chapter 8: The View From Here

At the top of Mounatain Afadjato- the highest point in Ghana. 

As the exams begin and my journey in Ghana is being put to an end, I can’t help but think what it will feel like to look at this experience as a memory. Leaving Ghana and heading into reverse culture shock will be one of the most difficult transformations; it will be more difficult than adjusting into this culture in the first place. I find myself anxious to reach the next milestone and start another chapter in England, but I want to be sure to have an incredible last month as an American trapped in Ghana; so I will.

I thought this post, as my words seem to be uninspired at the moment, should be a sort of photo album. These lovely snaps are just a few of my personal favorites that I feel truly speak for themselves. What better way to see what I do every day than to actually see what I see every day?

Enjoy the view.
The oldest mosque in Ghana and western Africa, found in Mole.

Mole National Park

Ada-Foah town

Ada-Foah -the estuary where the Volta River meets the Sea.

Ghanaian woman making ink for fabrics with her child wrapped to her back

These ink stamps are carved into symbols that reflect the Ghanaian traditional values.

Kumasi marketplace- these piles are a little too common around Africa

Elmina- near the Elmina Slave Fort

Every photographer’s dream- people who know how to flirt with the camera.

Father giving away the bride

Parasite tree in Ho-hoe Monkey Sanctuary

Mountain Afadjato- encouraging messages the entire way up (even though that's not very high at all).


                                             
                                                              Waterfall and river in Ho.

California can keep their happy cows; nothing beats a happy baby.





A few of the Beacon House babies.

This is the canopy walk in Kakum National Park. The strength of the walkway has been tested by the weight of three elephants and yet, has the ability to convince you that you’ll be the first to snap it.






Women at the one year memorial service of Benedicta’s father.

I hope these photos have been an interesting insight to my adventures. Until next time!

Nante Yie,
Emily Chamberlain



  

.




.

  













No comments:

Post a Comment